As most riders know at this stage the five Wexford clubs have formed a county board – Wexford Cycling – to support and promote cycling in County Wexford. The huge growth in cycling in the county over the past 10 years has been a fantastic achievement and each club and their participants deserve congratulations. However the growth in numbers and races has added a heavy workload for race organisers and the usual faces who show up in rain & shine to marshal events and help maintain the safety of the cyclists and goodwill of the general public who may be inconvenienced. Each year the demands from Cycling Ireland regarding the profile of events, the licencing of riders and adherance to our event risk assessments are also increasing.
From 2014 all riders who intend racing in the Slaney Novice League, The Slipstream league, the SERC league and the Wexford Wheelers league must pre register filling in some personal information and most importantly must commit to marshaling at one event of their choice over the 20 race season. With around 100 racing cyclists in the county riders will only have to marshall one event. The basic personal information – contact numbers, blood group, allergies – will be kept private by the race organisers and only used in the event of an accident requiring hospitalisation and destroyed at the end of the season. When registered you will receive a race number for the year. There will be a €20 euro registration fee. €10 will be returned to riders at the end of the season when the number is returned.
All the clubs are very lucky to have people who turn out on a weekly basis, year in, year out , to drive lead cars or marshal junctions to allow other cyclist compete. We will not be able to run the races in 2014 without these people but hopefully the additional pool of marshals will ease the strain on everyone.
Main new rules
- Riders must have a least a club competition licence.
- A rider must register to ride the leagues, NO NUMBER NO RACE
- A rider must marshall at least one league race.
- Their numbers will be available for collection at the league races.
- Ever rider who marshals will recieve 3 points.
- A rider must notify the respective race organiser before the start of the league that they want to use their 3 pts.
- Best four results in each league counts so no disadvantage to marshaling.
- A rider must register before midday on the Monday before the league race, a rider cannot sign on on the night.
- Riders who can sign on on the night are riders who are NOT eligible to ride the Wexford County Championships ie riders from clubs outside the county etc.
- A rider must return his number at the end of the season and receive back €10
- Once a rider picks a date to be marshalled it cannot be changed. A rider can however get a sub to marshal for him. The sub marshall must be another registered league rider.
- A rider who fails to marshal will be suspended from all league races until such time he has marshalled and will not receive back €10 at the end of the season.
Registration is now open at http://www.leaguerace.me/ With the Slaney and Slipstream leagues just around the corner we would ask evryone to register as soon as possible and book your desired date for marshaling. There are bound to be some teething problems but early registration will allow us to sort them out before the racing begins.
This years Wexford Cycling calendar : Wexford Cycling Calendar 2014