- This years Eddie Tobin Road Race takes place on July 26th. All members are required to help marshall the event so if you are not racing you better have a good excuse if you intend missing the day! A club meeting will be held prior to the event to assign jobs but please keep this date free.
- This years race will again be sponsored by the Riverside Park Hotel. As parts of the Monageer circuit road surface has deteriorated badly this years race will be on a new course starting in Enniscorthy to Ferns, Camolin, Gorey Bypass to Arklow south junction and back to Enniscorthy turning left just after the Scarawalsh roundabout to finish on the old Dublin Road.
- Well done to Frank Dunne and Alex Williams who both finished in the mainfield at todays national championships. We hope to see Rita Boyle back on the bike ASAP after her fall in yesterdays womens champs.
- A group of 14 cyclists took in a challenging tour this morning of about 80kms. Ferns, Kilrush, Ballyroebuck, Ballingate, Bunclody, Halfway House, Kiltealy, Ballymackessey and back to town was the route and the line out for home seems to start earlier each week!
- All the best to Paddy, Stephen and Alan who are off to ride the Marmotte and to Bill Jordan who’s heading for the Ring of Kerry 112mile ride next weekend.
- We’ll plan another longer tour of 100 or 120km for later in the month, possibly the 19th July, for those of us preparing for the Tour de Kilkenny 160km ride on August 1st. Map of Tour de Kilkenny route below.
MTB Invitation Racing 795 is a mountain bike club based in Bunclody. They have sent us the following invitation to a guided MTB spin on the trails around Mount Leinster. This is spin is suitable for experienced MTB riders only so you’ve been warned!
We are issuing the following invitation to some of the more prominent
MTB clubs. We know you are more road oriented but as our near
neighbours we thought we’d extend the invitation to any mountain
bikers you may have in your club
Racing 795 is hosting a guided MTB spin on 2nd August 2009. The format
is very simple, just our normal Sunday spin with invited guests. We’d
be delighted if you could join us.
What’s in it for you?
An opportunity to be guided around trails you’ve probably never ridden
before in the vicinity of Mount Leinster.
We’ve ridden and raced on many of your trails and we think you’ll like
ours. It’ll be a 2 to 2.5 hour spin covering about 20k, roughly 50/50
fire-road/singletrack. We’ll supply the tea and sambos afterwards.
Maybe buns too.
What’s in it for us?
Essentially we want to get some experienced heads down here to find
out what you think of our trails. We’d like to stage some kind of MTB
event in the next season or two and we are keen to learn from other
Unfortunately, numbers have to be limited due to our own numbers being
small. Therefore we are inviting 5 members from each club. If some
clubs have no interest then at a later stage we can offer more
invitations to clubs where interest is high.
This is NOT a beginners’ spin. This spin is only suitable for
experienced, reasonably fit and self-sufficient riders. It’s not
particulary long but there is plenty of climbing and some of the
singletrack is very challenging, especially if wet.
The pace will be our pace, i.e. back of the pack Masters. If you need
to go faster you can do a second lap!
We are based in Bunclody, Co Wexford. We plan to kick off around 11
a.m., so you won’t have to get out of
bed too early! We’ll provide further details, directions etc nearer to
If you’d like to join us please let us have numbers as soon as you
can, but ideally by 24th July so we can reallocate places if
Look forward to hearing from you
PRO – Racing 795
If you have any questions just reply to this mail or phone
David Conway – 087 6480922
David Furlong – 087 9793457
For Racing 795 info and background go to http://www.racing795.com/