Excellent video by Ronan Kavanagh of last years Dragon Sportive. Spot yourself?
With the weather so bad for the past few weeks lets look forward to some great upcoming leisure events run by the local clubs that you hardly have to leave the county for! Some of these events will be familiar to you but if you are one of the many new members we’ve got over the winter months these are ideal events to try out. Generally there is a choice of distances, some events are hilly, some are not but all of them are good fun to take part in and many are important fundraisers. Hopefully we’ll organise a good Slaney presence at all these events.
- 6th April Three Peaks Challenge, SERC. 100kms in the Wicklow mountains starting in Arklow.
- 12th April ‘Baby’ Mount Leinster, a fundraiser for Wexford Underage Cycling, 40km & 80km routes in the foothills of Mt Leinster. Great practice event if you plan on doing the tougher Mt Leinster Challenge this year. Details being finalised.
- 17th May The 9th Mount Leinster Challenge. 100km and 140km with the Corrobutt Gap to be conquered and the Kiltealy foodstop to be enjoyed. Limited to 300 riders entry opens on March 5th.
- 29th June The Dragon Sportive. The 2nd running of this great new event and a fundraiser for the local St Vincent de Paul Society. 75km & 130km routes.
- 20th July The St. Lukes/Ferns Sportive. 60km/100km routes. A great community event in Ferns that has raised over €32,000 for St Lukes Hospital over the past few years.
- 3rd August The Tour of Wexford Sportive. With 4 distances between 40-160kms this event covers the scenic coast of south Wexford.
Many members have taken out Cycling Ireland licences at this stage. If you haven’t the club recommends you do. The CI introductory licence is €20 (or non competition is €25 if you had a previous licence) but will avoid you having to buy a one day licence for insurance purposes at these events and will also make the sign on process on the morning of each much quicker. http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/types-of-membership ( If I’m missing any other local events email me).
This is a copy of the full Wexford Cycling Calendar 2014 for 2014. These events don’t run themselves and there is a huge amount of work put in to organising and running of these leagues. In order to maintain the safety of these events, in the next few weeks the 5 clubs will be outlining the new registation process to take part in the racing leagues and all participants will have to commit to marshalling at at least one event of their choice. The amount of events taking place in Wexford is the envy of other counties so lets keep it going.