- Another great result for Davy Walsh taking 4th place in the A1 race against some tough opposition at the Carrick Cup in Carrick on Suir today. After a 5th placing last week Davy is building some good form before the first big Classic of the year, The Des Hanlon Memorial, next Sunday and Rás Mumhan over the Easter weekend.
- Underage Report from Bill Jordan: Fionn and Adam lined out for Slaney yesterday at the u/a races in Corkagh Park in Dublin. This is a crit circuit in the park which is completely closed to traffic and as a result is very safe. This was the first outing for the lads as under 16 riders and indeed fionn’s first proper open race in 10mts due to illness. Unfortunately illness has not left us yet as Adam had to retire from the race yesterday due to a bad bug he has been fighting for the past few weeks, hope to see him on the road to recovery very soon. The race itself was a very fast event due to the fitness of the lads and the flat course and Fionn rode a good race to finish in what was left of the bunch sprinting for second place and although he didn’t make the top six he was reasonably pleased with the days work and is looking forward to the next race in a few weeks time. Bbig thanks to Jude Roche and his helpers for putting on the event.
- Fionn warming up at Corkagh Park.
- Gowlin CC Charity Cycle report from Phil Skelton: Good turn out of Slaney members completed the Gowlin Sportive today. Phil, Bill, Fionn and Ken completed the 90km spin which was run at an average pace of 32.8km/hr.
Ciaran Swaine and wife Betty, Ann Jordan, Ann Skelton along with Claire and Charlie O’Hagen . Also Mark’s other half Margaret Bowkett who completed her first 40km!!
Big thank you to newly affiliated club Gowlin on a tremendously well organised and run event.
- Ken, Ann, Bill & Ann
- Saturday spin: Leaves ALDI at 9.30am. NE wind due so thinking of going to Kyle Cross, Castlebridge, up the coast road to Blackwater, Gorey and home with a tailwind. (Hopefully!)
- Sunday tour: Leaves the Duffry at 10.00am
- Best of luck to all Slaney riders competing in Carrick on Suir this weekend.
- Monday : MS Charity Cycle 2013 Borris, Co Carlow – 90km & 40km routes – full details on the Gowlin Cycling Website http://www.gowlincycling.ie/MSCycle%202013.html
- Mick Howe about to head for the St Patricks Day cavalcade. Many thanks to David Dempsey for his assistance.
- The club will have a team car in this years St. Patricks Day parade to publicise the club and in particular our hosting of the National Youth Cycling Championships in August. If anyone would like to cycle in front of the team car in Slaney kit they are more than welcome.
- During our discussions with Enniscorthy Town Council regarding the Championships they made a request for some assistence at the parade on Sunday. If any civic minded members would like to help marshall at the event for an hour or so contact Mick Howe or myself.
- The club have been allocated the junction at the bottom of Hospital Lane/Court St/top of Friary Hill to marshal while the walking groups pass. A few volunteers required from 3pm until about 3.45pm on Sunday.