Many thanks to everyone who gave their time and effort to make the National Youth Championships 2013 such a great event. It was by far the biggest event ever put on by the club and it couldn’t have happened without the crew that did the hard lifting and pulling on saturday and sunday and in the week before hand. The final entry was 159 of Irelands finest young cyclists. The criterium on Sunday was an amazing event and gave the public achance to see fantastic road racing up close. Very close! We’re working on a thank you list which we’ll post here shortly.
Well done to everyone who took part but especially the Slaney CC crew of Under 15: Fionn Jordan, Adam Thatcher and Reece Young and Under 12: Marc Thatcher, Elliott Young And Conor Ruth.
All of these young men rode to the best of their ability with some great performances. Reece was 4th and Adam 5th just 10 seconds off Bronze in the U15 time trial while Elliott was 5th in the U12 TT. In the road races Fionn proved best finisher in 10th with Reece 12th and Adam 14th. In the criterium Reece and Fionn again proved super strong with Reece taking 6th place. Yet again this season Fionn proved dreadfully unlucky with the same Carrick Wheeler that took him out in the Errigal Tour sliding across the road in front of him on Castle Street on the last lap while he prepared to sprint and consigning him to 14th position. At least, to the eternal relief of Bill Jordan, hisframe wasn’t a write off this time!
Final Results & a copy of the race manual each competitor received below
Theres about 700 pictures froom the TT/RR and Crit on facebook from Sean Rowe and Yvette O Beirne. There are links on the Nationa Youths facebook page of click here
For all information on entering the event, venues, route maps and accomodation visit the dedicated National Youth Cycling Champs 2013 website by clicking the picture above.
A member of the committee will be in touch with each club member over the next week to allocate job roles over the weekend to ensure we have a successful and safe championships for our visiting cyclists.
Volunteers Needed: Over 130 of the best young cyclists in the country have entered so far. Please give us a hand on the weekend to ensure the safety and enjoyment of the future of Irish cycling.
- Erection of road signs in advance of event will start on Saturday 17th. Contact Mick Howe or Mick Byrne if you are free to help.
- We intend to visit every single house on the route of all stages of the event to give out a flyer with details of the races ensure all residents are aware of the event , avoid parking on the route, that they keep dogs in particular under order and they come out and support the kids. We plan on having 2 cars and need 6 or 8 people to cover the Monageer circuit on Monday evening from 7.30pm
- Bill and Fionn Jordan with the help of Reece and Elliot Young began this task on Friday evening delivering flyers on the Criterium circuit.
- Listen to South East Radio on Tuesday morning at 11am when Bill, along with Cycling Ireland President Rory Wyley, will be discussing the event.
- On Friday evening we plan a marshals information meeting in the Presentation Centre at 8.20pm. Please come to this meeting if you are available to help on the weekend.
- If you are coming to give a hand at any event try and bring your brother/sister/friend/neighbour. We need lots of bodies to set up barriers, cones, signage and to marshall event. Upwards of 40 marshals needed for the road and criterium stage.
- We would ask that the other cyclinbg clubs give us a hand on the weekend and perhaps look after a junction each for us for this National event.
- In 10 years time you could be watching the Tour de France and be able to say “I helped when that guy or girl won the National Youth Champs!”